[scribus] A New Concept of Character Spacing? (was Re: Why scribus lacks letter-spacing?)

William F. Maddock billsey at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 4 13:37:50 CET 2010

-----Original Message-----

I'm not sure, but I THINK my idea is a simpler concept. It would involve the font designer, at the design stage, setting the "close approach" value for the font (that is, how close any two visible glyphs should approach each other at their closest points). On the layout end, the engine would find where that close approach would be for each of the visible-glyph pairs in use and set that close approach to the value previously set for the font. No exceptions, no epicycles, no Ptolemy. The engine would not care which glyphs are involved; it just finds the closest approach for that pair and sets it to the "close approach" value for that font.