[scribus] problems with select-and-perform

Nik scribus at babel.homelinux.net
Thu Feb 4 05:22:53 CET 2010

Hi All,

I have been an avid user of Scribus since 1.2, and have helped a number
of organisations take it up also - so thank you for a great product.

I have a number of issues that I would like to ask about.
I'll post about the individual issues separately, so none get lost, and
I'll also write a more general post explaining how these issues interact.

One thing that has caused me and others many problems in the past is the
the select-and-perform response of scribus to a single mouse-click.

I've tested this recently on 1.3.5.1, and the problems have been
reduced, but there are still problems.

The essential problem is that a user may click on a frame - intending
just to select it, but for a variety of reasons, Scribus performs some
additional, and unwanted operation as well.

In earlier versions, the unwanted operations included the frame being
moved, or resized; and sometimes being resized to some (unusable)
minimum size.

In my tests on 1.3.5, it seems the unwanted move has been completely
resolved, and while the unwanted resize is no not so severe (I never had
it shrink to minimum size), the frame can still be resized on a single
mouse-click operation.

In my tests, if I clicked when the resize pointer (double-headed arrow)
was either to the left of or above the centered position, the the
clicked-on side moves left or up.

So my main question is:

Q1: Would it be possible to enable an optional mode in Scribus in which
move and resize operations are only ever applied to a previously
selected frame, meaning the left-click on an unselected frame only ever
means "select"?

Q2: Alternatively, how can I help in resolving the click-causes-resize
problem?

Cheers!
Nik