[scribus] Scribus 1.3.9 - MacOS X, 10.4, G4 processor

Gunter Woysch Gunter.Woysch at gmx.de
Thu Dec 30 10:57:42 CET 2010

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 19:58:26 +0100
> Von: Martin Costabel <costabel at wanadoo.fr>
> CC: Gunter Woysch <Gunter.Woysch at gmx.de>
> Betreff: Re: [scribus] Re(3):  Scribus 1.3.9 - MacOS X, 10.4, G4 processor - crashed during program load

> On 7/12/10 19:19, Gunter Woysch wrote:
> > Re(3): Scribus 1.3.9 - MacOS X, 10.4, G4 processor - crashed during
> program load
> []
> > I just started
> >
> >   "fink install scribus135-aqua" ,
> >
> > and I hope that it will finish successfully ...
> and producing a Scribus1.3.9.app ... !
>
> If something goes wrong, I hope I can help you.
>
> > Assumming, that it will end well, do I have a chance to repeat this
> > fink process for Scribus 1.4.x again ?
>
> Currently, Fink has packages for 1.3.3.14 and 1.3.9. As soon as 1.4.0
> is released, there will be also a Fink package for it. There are no
> Fink packages for versions like 1.5.x that only exist in SVN.
>
> --
> Martin

Hello to all readers,

Scribus 1.3.9 was required under MacOS X 10.4.11 with a G4 processor.

I asked for support in this mailing list.

Martin Costabel offered his support - and he solved all issues successfully !

His first comment on my original email dates back to December 6, 2010.

On December 7, 2010, he offered his support; the installation was finally finished at December 20, 2010, and I received his last email regarding this installation on December 22, 2010.

The largest logfile shared with Martin had 16.8 MB and zipped down to 388 kB.

Thanks a lot to Martin, for his knowledge and his patience, to search for solutions to issues not seen before !

Even his best guesses were correct !

Definitely an example of excellent support started at this email list !

A short technical summary follows below.

Gunter

------

Technical summary
-----------------

Objective
---------

Install Scribus 1.3.9 under MacOS X 10.4 with a G4 processor

Using fink the few steps to success should be :

 1  :  fink -l selfupdate

 1+ :  required, if the unstable package tree is not yet enabled

       see below

 2  :  fink -l update-all

 3  :  fink -l install qt4-mac

 4  :  fink -l install scribus135-aqua

Starting Scribus

 5  :  In the Finder,

      go to /Applications/Fink and click on the Scribus icon.

Step 1+
-------

Please follow the hints in

 - http://www.finkproject.org/faq/usage-fink.php#unstable .

Compilation time
----------------

The compilation time for the qt4 lib will be between half a day and even more; the compilation time for scribus135-aqua may be a little bit shorter.

Stay patient and do not interrupt this automated process !

Hints
-----

Using fink with the parameter -l generates a logfile in /tmp.

This logfile is necessary for checking warnings and errors produced during the hopefully not too long debugging sequence to generate a running Scribus installation.

The first step assures a current version of fink on one's own computer.

See :

  - http://www.finkproject.org/ .

The second step assures current versions of the installed packages on one's own computer.

The third step installs the QT packages required for Scribus.

QT is a cross-platform application and UI framework, on which Scribus is based.

See :

  http://qt.nokia.com/ .

The final fourth step installs Scribus.

Inspite of giving fink the parameter "scribus135-aqua" it will install scribus139-aqua !

Interference with multiple QT installations

Beware of multiple QT installations on your computer during the Scribus compilation process!

Multiple installations of QT may ( and did ) interfere with installing qt4-mac !

In order to disable such interactions, the following steps were required :

 - Rename all Qt* framework directories inside

   - /Library/Frameworks

      to new names with added first letters,

      and treat phonon.framework in the same way,

      e.g.

      sudo mv phonon.framework xx_phonon.framework

 - rename all qt related files in

   - /usr/local and /usr/bin,

      including

      qmake, moc, uic, .. ,

      and all others with the same generation time.

If it works, it's ok - if not, please ask ..