[scribus] Best practice: creating a template

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Dec 29 21:38:46 CET 2010

On Wednesday 29 December 2010 15:24:39 Peter Palmreuther wrote:
> On 12/29/10 2:51 pm, John Culleton wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 December 2010 17:46:46 Peter Palmreuther wrote:
> >> At first I was wondering if there are any plans on enabling
> >> Scribus to produce tagged PDF files, so these could become
> >> "PDF/UA safe". It really is a matter for us and as soon somebody
> >> notices the newsletter is not even close to PDF/UA I fear some
> >> people will intervene and try to force me to use MS Word to
> >> create this newsletter *shudder*.
> >
> > Can you define "PDF/UA safe"? I haven't come across that phrase
> > before.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/UA
> http://pdf.editme.com/PDFUA
>
> In short it's an attempt to make PDF "universally accessible";
> "PDF/UA" means "PDF/Universal Accessibility".
>
> PDF/UA should enable e.g. screen readers to access information
> within the PDF file better.
>
> For this it's essential to structure PDF content, including tags to
> markup the contents. Another thing is special markup of hyphenation
> information for enabling text reflow and clean screen reading ...
> But that's a different story.

Scribus is aimed primarily at printed rather than web products,
although there is a choice when you produce a pdf.  For one thing the
typical pdf produced by Scribus is very large.

AFAIK text reflow and PDF are not compatible. For text reflow you should
probably use HTML or XHTML.
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus: