[scribus] Installing 1.3.8 or 1.3.9

Ian "Witty" Whitfield editor at federalsaints.net
Tue Dec 28 12:51:12 CET 2010

>> I'm still having problems getting the latest Scribus installed. I
>> upgraded to Mint 9 but no 1.3.8 was available. So I changed to
>> Kubuntu 10.10 - still no 1.3.8. So I went back and reloaded 10.04 and
>> after a battle got 1.3.9 working!!
>>
>> However the OpSys install was not good and Dolphin was crashing all
>> the time, my Database was running very slowly and my Desktop was
>> blank. I tried to fix Dolphin but got to a stage when the whole
>> system was just freezing. So I reinstalled from the original CD but
>> now the instructions I used a week ago will only bring down 1.3.5!!
>> I've Googled all over the place but all I can "see" here is 1.3.5 and
>> I MUST have 1.3.8 or 9 to open my files.
>
> i have only one hint: don't fight against your package manager. if the
> gods behind your distribution don't provide what you have seen
> elsewhere, stick with what they provide.
>
> if there are simple and safe ways to get something shiner and newer,
> go that path, but don't try to apply random tricks: it will screw your
> system. sooner or later.
>
> for ubuntu, there is a simple trick and you already got the correct
> link from greg: read that page and you will have 1.3.9 working in 5
> minutes!
>
> all this does not apply if you use slackware and compile yourself the
> development branch 1.5svn...
Thanks to a.l.e., Greg and others but I'm still not getting anywhere!!

When 1.3.8 came out some months back I moved to it so all my files are
now in this (new) format so I can't use 1.3.5 or earlier!!

I'm happy to use 1.3.8 OR 1.3.9.

The page Greg pointed to is the one I've been on and using but all I
'get' with this is 1.3.5!! I had a hell of a problem with this before
but somehow got 1.3.9 working perfectly. I just need to get back to this!!

As for compiling my own I gave up on that after a full week of trying
some time back so don't want to go there again!!

This HAS to be possible because I HAD it working. It's not a case of
wanting the latest and shiniest I just want what I had before so that I
can carry on working!!! Computer is the same, OpSys is the same so what
is the problem!!!???

I'm open to ANY suggestions.

Thanks Guys

Ian Whitfield