[scribus] Problems With Text Box

peter linnell plinnell at scribus.info
Mon Dec 27 22:41:17 CET 2010

On 12/27/10 9:41 PM, J K wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> First let me apologize if this is a duplicate email.  I sent this message to
> the group and it was held for moderation, but I need help rather quickly (or
> I need to abandon Scribus for some other layout system), so I signed up for
> the group in order to bypass moderation.
>
> I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I am having trouble, I looked
> through the documentation, and I can't find an answer.
>
> BTW, I am using Scribus 1.3.3.14 on Windows XP.
>
> There are two problems.
>
> First, I cannot change the text color.  I right click on 'properties' and
> click the 'text' tab.  There are two color options, one with a paint bucket
> next to it nd one with a pen which is writing next to it.  I assume that the
> pen writing is what will change the text color, correct?  But it is grayed
> out and I cannot change it.
>
> The second problem is that most of the fonts work, but the font that I had
> chosen (Mangal Regular) will not render.  It just shows up as red blocks.
>   This font works just fine in other applications.  Not sure why it wouldn't
> work in Scribus.

Mangal Regular is I suspect one of the fonts included in XP which does
not have Latin glyphs. Other apps might display it by substituting
glpyhs from another font. But Scribus will only display using the actual
glyphs available in the font. It does so for print/PDF export reliability.

> Anyway, thanks in advance for any help provided.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

Hope that helps,

Peter