[scribus] ms publisher, let's solve it once and forever

Philip Ward skeggy78 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 01:50:10 CET 2010

Hi Alexandre Prokoudine

On 22 December 2010 00:35, Alexandre Prokoudine <
alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/22/10, Philip Ward wrote:
>
> > I did make the suggestion of creating a virtual PC, within your chosen
> OS,
> > as i also have problems with regards to opening PUB Files on an OSX
> system
> > etc. In the past i have managed to download evaluation copies of the
> > software mentioned, namely Microsoft windows and office, but it was
> > dismissed as being a waste of hdd space i think the person mentioned?
>
> Hi Philip,
>
> For a virtual PC one still needs a licensed version of Windows.
> Somehow I don't feel excited about giving my money to MIcrosoft :)

are you sure you need a licensed copy? last i saw you could download a
copy/trial direct from microsoft themselves? and that could be installed on
a fresh machine, i know that would mean having a second/third computer for
some people, but sure it gave you 90 days to trial (was XP at one point, and
im sure 7 was the same), and like wise you can/could download a 60 day trial
of their office suite (which i rarely use apart from customers PC's as i use
open or neo office)

> > and with regards to file conversion, what version of publisher are you
> > wanting to make compatible if it was done? because im sure, like scribus,
> > earlier revisions ie 98/2000/2003 wont read a 2007/2010 version of the
> file
> > format, like on word, where you have to download a converter etc?
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I'm not remotely interested
> in writing converters for Microsoft software (in fact, I'm not
> remotely interested in programming, but that's another story). The
> point is to be able to open binary pub files in Scribus. Both 98, 2000
> and 2003 should be on the radar for that.#

sorry i ment my comment with regards to reverse engineering what does where
etc? i was just refering are you asking somone to target just one file
format/version, as im now racking my brains trying to remember, but im sure
there was complications even opening some 98 files on a 2003 version (again
it was some years ago that i used it)

> > also quickly, i just wanted to mention, that running wine is difficult
> for
> > me, as im on a PowerPC mac, and last i looked it was for intel based only
> > units.
>
> WINE is of no help. Publisher cannot save files under WINE, which
> makes any attempts at r-e fruitless.

im glad that you have told me that, so as not to attempt to install office
etc on my ubuntu box, although i did manage to get corel 11 a while ago
working quite well (off topic i know)

cheers
phil