[scribus] ms publisher, let's solve it once and forever

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 01:35:57 CET 2010

On 12/22/10, Philip Ward wrote:

> I did make the suggestion of creating a virtual PC, within your chosen OS,
> as i also have problems with regards to opening PUB Files on an OSX system
> etc. In the past i have managed to download evaluation copies of the
> software mentioned, namely Microsoft windows and office, but it was
> dismissed as being a waste of hdd space i think the person mentioned?

Hi Philip,

For a virtual PC one still needs a licensed version of Windows.
Somehow I don't feel excited about giving my money to MIcrosoft :)

> and with regards to file conversion, what version of publisher are you
> wanting to make compatible if it was done? because im sure, like scribus,
> earlier revisions ie 98/2000/2003 wont read a 2007/2010 version of the file
> format, like on word, where you have to download a converter etc?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I'm not remotely interested
in writing converters for Microsoft software (in fact, I'm not
remotely interested in programming, but that's another story). The
point is to be able to open binary pub files in Scribus. Both 98, 2000
and 2003 should be on the radar for that.

> also quickly, i just wanted to mention, that running wine is difficult for
> me, as im on a PowerPC mac, and last i looked it was for intel based only
> units.

WINE is of no help. Publisher cannot save files under WINE, which
makes any attempts at r-e fruitless.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org