[scribus] downloading stable version of Scribus for Mac

Alison Saylor alison.saylor at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 18:11:44 CET 2010

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 1:22 AM, a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:
> hi alison,
>
>> Oh, interesting.  I'll find out what that means, unsupported, and
>> check in with the person I purchased this machine from.  Thanks for
>> your help!
>
> it's a sad thing (at least for me), but the team has decided not to support scribus for os x 10.4 anymore.
>
> since it takes an effort to create the .dmg for 10.4 and fewer and fewer people use that OS version, they are not willing to do it anymore.
>
> scribus 1.3.9 works without a hitch on os x 10.4, but i got tired of explaining the install procedure again and again to each person who asks about it. (the procedure is more complicated than using the .dmg but it's not that hard, either)
>
> the information about which version of os x is supported (and eventually on how to get scribus to work on older versions of os x) should be linked from the download page on the scribus site (and maybe also written in a text file on sourceforge). an alternative would be to add a dialog in scribus which tells the user that his system is not supported anymore (this is what most applications do nowadays).
>
> in the current situation, people are downloading the .dmg and just get the feeling that scribus is broken.
>

> as for now, the only thing i can suggest you is to update to 10.5 or later (as greg said).
> btw, the last .dmg working on os x 10.4 is 1.3.5.1, but i would not suggest you to use it.

> ciao
> a.l.e
>
> __
thank you so much for taking the time to explain this.  I certainly
understand not continuing to support Scribus for such old versions of
the Mac OS.  And how tiring it would be to have to explain to folks
over and over again how to make it work.  I'd be happy to use 1.3.5.1
if only I could find where to download it.  I used it for several
rounds of my newsletter when it was the current version and understand
the workarounds for what i need to do.  Sourceforge displays the links
to older version of Scribus but they are behind their ads and even
when you succeed in sorting that out (the ad boxes have no way to
close them) the links are not 'live', they do not lead to downloads.
People have been so responsive to my situation and that has felt nice,
but none of the links suggested, either through Scribus.net or
Sourceforge have allowed me to download the prior version.  I will be
getting help later today installing OS X 1.6, apparently the highest
version that will work on this no longer young machine and or walking
me through following the instructions for compiling (?) using Fink.
Simply downloading Fink didn't work and I'm new to using the terminal
and it didn't recognize the suggested commands.  Anyway, to make my
long story short again, if you could send me to a live link for
1.3.5.1 it would really save me today, I'm way being deadline at this
point and I've got six hours before my tech help arrives.  Thanks
again!