[scribus] downloading stable version of Scribus for Mac

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sun Dec 19 10:22:03 CET 2010

hi alison,

> Oh, interesting.  I'll find out what that means, unsupported, and
> check in with the person I purchased this machine from.  Thanks for
> your help!

it's a sad thing (at least for me), but the team has decided not to support scribus for os x 10.4 anymore.

since it takes an effort to create the .dmg for 10.4 and fewer and fewer people use that OS version, they are not willing to do it anymore.

scribus 1.3.9 works without a hitch on os x 10.4, but i got tired of explaining the install procedure again and again to each person who asks about it. (the procedure is more complicated than using the .dmg but it's not that hard, either)

the information about which version of os x is supported (and eventually on how to get scribus to work on older versions of os x) should be linked from the download page on the scribus site (and maybe also written in a text file on sourceforge). an alternative would be to add a dialog in scribus which tells the user that his system is not supported anymore (this is what most applications do nowadays).

in the current situation, people are downloading the .dmg and just get the feeling that scribus is broken.

as for now, the only thing i can suggest you is to update to 10.5 or later (as greg said).
btw, the last .dmg working on os x 10.4 is 1.3.5.1, but i would not suggest you to use it.

ciao
a.l.e