[scribus] Windows versions.

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 14 19:09:52 CET 2010

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:40:39 -0500
Gregory Pittman <gregp_ky at yahoo.com> dijo:

>On 12/13/2010 10:38 PM, Craig Bradney wrote:
>>
>> Really, I think we should only support Windows 7. XP is old, ugly,
>> has a million bugs and plenty of security issues.

>Where I work, for reasons which remain obscure but probably give
>evidence for the presence of Neanderthal genes in the population, XP
>is still the OS of our hospital's system, and not only that, but you
>must use IE6 and a severely outdated Java to fully access information
>that I need.

At my university (25,000 students) all the Windows computers have XP,
except a handful in the Department of Computer Science. I don't think
it is due to Neanderthal genes; rather I think it is due to funding
priorities. I don't know how many thousands of computers the university
owns, but upgrading them to Windows 7 would cost a major amount. And
it's not just the license fees, it's also the labor to do the upgrades
and the additional support as people get used to them. Plus, a few
computers might be too old and need to be replaced. It's a case of "if
it ain't broke, don't fix it."