[scribus] Cannot edit/create paragragh styles

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Tue Dec 14 08:11:02 CET 2010

hi john,

> > > Try Edit->Styles to do what you used to do while in the Story
> > > Editor.  I understand there is a reason for changing this, but
> > > the logic is lost on me.
> >
> > Perfect, thank you. Shows the dangers of late night work. I went
> > through the main menus several times searching for what I was
> > looking for and it never registered.
> >
> The old way worked fine for me. I don't understand how access to the
> style editor from within the story editor is not desirable.  It seems
> intuitive.

personally, i hope that the story editor in its current form won't stay in scribus.

there is a need for a story editor, but in its current incarnation it shows too much that it has born to text editing in scribus (in older versions of scribus, editing text in a frame was painful).
in the future, we will have to figure out why there is a need for a story editor, what features should it should offer and how those should be implemented.

in my eyes, we shouldn't reproduce the in-frame editing, but offer an approach which is different enough to justify that it exists...

but this rewrite won't certainly happen for 1.4... so we're not in a hurry to define how it should behave.

> > >  It's a bit like having to make at least two clicks to close or
> > > update the Text Frame from the Story Editor.  I like 1.3.9, but
> > > there are a few things I miss from 1.3.3.14.  Maybe as I get more
> > > familiar with the finer points of Scribus, I will appreciate
> > > these changes.
> And I agree on the two click thing. Again a retrograde step with no
> visible logic behind it.

personally, i don't click at all to close the story editor. ctrl-w (or esc) and retun to confirm that i want to save the changes

> When the story editor is "fixed" will the 1.3.9 path through edit-
> >styles be retained? Or will we have to change work habits yet again?
> One of the things I do is to write e-books and eventually a p-book on
> various Open Source programs. Right now I don't know what to write
> about editing styles.

for 1.4 the style editor will stay as is.

for the future there are several interesting proposals floating around.

however, if you're writing about editing styles in scribus 1.4, i guess it's safe to write that it works through the edit > styles menu.

ciao
a.l.e