[scribus] scribus 1.5svn is not meant for production use

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Dec 12 21:56:02 CET 2010

On Sunday 12 December 2010 12:09:29 a.l.e wrote:
> dear john,
>
> > I do wish that the Scribus team would declare something newer
> > than 1.3.3.14 as stable. Newbie after Newbie downloads the
> > obsolete version and then gets in trouble over the 1.3.3.14/1.3.5
> > divide in file formats. I understand the rigidity that now
> > exists, but it is hurting our new members. The experienced
> > Scribus users have all moved on to something in the 1.3.x cycle
> > and I have moved on to 1.5.0. Once a more recent version is
> > declared "stable" then the Debian etc. repositories will add it
> > and the Windoze folks will be led to it by the Download pages. It
> > won't do any harm and it will end the confusion.
>
> could you please stop mentioning that you use 1.5.0?
>
> that version is not meant to be used by normal users.
>
> it's nice that you can work with it. i also do.
>

> but we should never mention it to people, who have problem with
> their copy of scribus.
>
> it's really not ready for prime time! (even if it works for your
> and my (limited) needs).
>

> scribus 1.5svn is meant for testing. if somebody can use it to work
> with it, well it's ok and he is welcome to do so. but we should
> never advise other people to use it in production. never never
> never never.*
>

> and concerning 1.3.x, you may have mentioned that 1.4 has reached
> beta status: we can hope to have a fresh stable version in the
> first few months of 2011.
>
> so, it's now really ok to suggest somebody missing features or
> hitting bugs in 1.3.3.14 to switch to 1.3.9.
>

> the future will be bright!
>
> ciao
> a.l.e
>

> * well, never... at least not as long as it has been stabilized a
> bit... which won't happen before mid 2011 (not even for the most
> optimist like me).

I can mention what I do. You just mentioned that you use it also. I
don't recommend it, but if I can do production with the bleeding edge
version certainly a beginner at Scribus can be trusted with 1.3.9. The
problem of 1.3.3.14 vs. later versions comes up daily.  We need a
later version declared stable. We are turning people off with this
constant difficulty.
--
John Culleton,
 typesetting and indexing http://wexfordpress.com