[scribus] .sla file won't open

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Dec 12 17:30:11 CET 2010

On Thursday 09 December 2010 13:01:14 John Jason Jordan wrote:
> <Copied to Ella>
>
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 17:05:12 GMT
>
> "Ella Stelter" <help at scribus.info> dijo:
> >Submitted on 12/09/2010
> >
> >I originally developed my work portfolio in Scribus about a year
> > ago, and am about to apply for jobs again and need to update it.
> > However, the files will not open.  I tried them in both Windows 7
> > and Ubuntu. Scribus starts up, and I can start a new document,
> > but when I try to open these older files, nothing happens.  It
> > doesn't give an error message or freeze.  I looked through the
> > bug reports, googled the issue, looked through the Scribus wiki
> > and FAQ, but can't find anyone having similar issues.  Thank you!
> >
> >     Version: 1.3.3.14
> >     Version: Win7
>
> 1) The first thing that comes to mind is that the files were
> created with a development version of Scribus, probably 1.3.5 or
> so, if they were created a year ago. The development versions
> (currently at 1.3.9) can open files created in older versions, but
> not the other way around. If the files were created in the
> development version you will not be able to open them in 1.3.3.14.
>
> 2) I'm not sure if this will help, but on Ubuntu open a terminal
> and type:
>
> scribus <filename>.sla
>
> Hopefully it will give some error messages as to why it cannot open
> the file.
>
> 3) Try installing 1.3.9, which will install alongside 1.3.3.14. You
> can download it for Windows, and for Ubuntu it is now in the
> repositories. No guarantees 1.3.9 will be able to open the files,
> but it's worth a shot.

I do wish that the Scribus team would declare something newer than
1.3.3.14 as stable. Newbie after Newbie downloads the obsolete version
and then gets in trouble over the 1.3.3.14/1.3.5 divide in file
formats. I understand the rigidity that now exists, but it is hurting
our new members. The experienced Scribus users have all moved on to
something in the 1.3.x cycle and I have moved on to 1.5.0.  Once a
more recent version is declared "stable" then the Debian etc.
repositories will add it and the Windoze folks will be led to it by
the Download pages. It won't do any harm and it will end the
confusion.

--
John Culleton,
 typesetting and indexing http://wexfordpress.com