[scribus] Odp: Help - need a tutorial for "dummies" - ie: newbies

Grzegorz Staniak gstaniak at wp.pl
Fri Dec 10 22:42:36 CET 2010

On 10-12-2010 at 22:12 randy.pare at rogers.com wrote:

> I am utterly lost. The controls [for an MS Word
> guy, like me] do not seem intuitive. Simple things like importing a
> picture and manipulating its size to fit on the page seem impossible.

One piece of advice from someone who quite recently was a total noob
too: ALWAYS keep the Properties Palette visible. Always. It really
helps. Check what it shows, use it to position, scale, and set
properties on objects. Also: use and explore the "Window" menu (for
alignment and distribution, for example).

> An image comes in and there doesn't seem to be anyway to alter size.

See above. Press F2, use the Properties Palette (the "Image" section).

> I receive articles, poetry shorts  stories all writtne on MS Word and
would like to import the docs and
> place them over background art etc etc.

Create a text frame, right click, "Get text". First you need to convert
the articles though.

> What I am hoping to learn is this:
>
> How to use Scribus to create a document that has
> artistic backgrounds with text and other art on top, that I can then
> convert to PDF.

... and it would be best for you, I think, to spare a few bucks for the
book:

https://www.packtpub.com/scribus-1-3-5-beginners-guide/book

You can even get a discount if you scan the group archive for the 10th
anniversary email ;)

> BTW I have read the READ ME file and BASICs tutorial that come with
Scribus - just could not find answers to what I am
> asking there.

Ask here then.

GS
--
Grzegorz Staniak, gstaniak _at_ wp *dot* pl