[scribus] Help - need a tutorial for "dummies" - ie: newbies

randy.pare at rogers.com randy.pare at rogers.com
Fri Dec 10 22:12:27 CET 2010

Hi, really sorry to bug you guys. My name is r. j.
paré and I have been putting out an art - lit e-zine {RKYV ONLINE} for years
using MS Word for all my layouts.
I know, I know it is a word processing program
with limitations in regards to page layout.

That said I have decide to learn how to use page
layout software. I downloaded Scribus after reading good reviews and have decide
to give it a try.

I am utterly lost. The controls [for an MS Word
guy, like me] do not seem intuitive. Simple things like importing a picture and
manipulating its size to fit on the page seem impossible. An image comes in and
there doesn't seem to be anyway to alter size. I receive articles, poetry shorts
stories all writtne on MS Word and would like to import the docs and place them
over background art etc etc.

Frankly I can't figure it out at all. LOL With MS
Word, I have limitations - but I can do all these things I have just mentioned
[just not as well as I hoped a layout program like Scribus would
allow].

Here is a link to back issues of my e-zine to get
an idea of what I am talking about:

http://www.scribd.com/randy_par%C3%A9/shelf

What I am hoping to learn is this:

How to use Scribus to create a document that has
artistic backgrounds with text and other art on top, that I can then convert to
PDF.

Could someone steer me to a guide for such things?

BTW I have read the READ ME file and BASICs
tutorial that come with Scribus - just could not find answers to what I am
asking there.