[scribus] Scribus 1.4.0 and XP

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 7 22:39:49 CET 2010

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 21:53:40 +0100
Craig Bradney <cbradney at scribus.info> dijo:

>On 12/7/10 9:40 PM, K.King wrote:
>> <<
>> We will also be dropping support for XP eventually (perhaps with
>> 1.4.0), ie to the point of saying.. if it works, then great, but we
>> won't test on it anymore. Not confirmed yet.
>>>>
>> Is 1.4.0 that far away:-?
>> An awful lot of people are and probably will still be using it for
>> quite a while.
>> Some corporates are in no hurry to move to 7, as still supported till
>> 2014.
>>

>1.4.0 is not that far away.
>
>XP is 2 versions behind, and 9+ years old (from release, not
>development). It is as insecure as an open door.
>
>I didn't say our release would not be compatible with XP (I'm 99% sure
>it will be), however we will not be testing on XP.
>
>I doubt "an awful" lot is really that many these days.. Windows 7 is
>*miles* ahead of XP and Vista in so many ways.

I haven't used Windows for years, but apparently a clear majority of
Windows users are still using XP:

http://tinyurl.com/287rhdy

But, as you say, it is highly likely that 1.4.0 will run on XP without
a problem. As long as XP users can still get help here on the list, it
shouldn't be a problem if the developers just stop testing on XP.