[scribus] installing scribus

Peter Linnell plinnell at scribus.info
Mon Dec 6 12:53:07 CET 2010

On 12/06/2010 11:25 AM, fran.renard at free.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a newbie on Scribus, and I'd like to install it locally on a RedHat/Linux PC, because I'm not administrator.
>
> I've downloaded scribus-1.3.3.14.tar.bz2 and unpacked it locally. I've get a scribus-1.3.3.14 directory.
>
> There is no configure command, and I've understood that I've to use cmake.
>
> I've created a "install" and a "build" directory, on the same level as the source "scribus" directory, in the scribus-1.3.3.14 directory.
> In the build directory, I've done :
>
> cmake ../scribus -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/home/username/scribus-1.3.3.14/install
>
> and obtained the messages below.
>
> Can anybody tell me what is wrong ?
>
> Thank you
> François
>

> -- The C compiler identification is GNU
> -- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
> -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
> -- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
> -- Detecting C compiler ABI info
> -- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
> -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
> -- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
> -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
> -- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
> CMake Error at icons/CMakeLists.txt:6 (INSTALL):
>   install FILES given no DESTINATION!
>

> CMake Error at plugins/barcodegenerator/CMakeLists.txt:32 (INSTALL):
>   install TARGETS given no LIBRARY DESTINATION for module target
>   "barcodegenerator".
>

> CMake Error at plugins/colorwheel/CMakeLists.txt:30 (INSTALL):
>   install TARGETS given no LIBRARY DESTINATION for module target
>   "colorwheel".
>

> CMake Error at plugins/fileloader/oldscribusformat/CMakeLists.txt:24 (INSTALL):
>   install TARGETS given no LIBRARY DESTINATION for module target
>   "oldscribusformat".
>

> CMake Error at plugins/fileloader/oodraw/CMakeLists.txt:23 (INSTALL):
>   install TARGETS given no LIBRARY DESTINATION for module target "oodrawimp".
>

> CMake Error at plugins/fontpreview/CMakeLists.txt:32 (INSTALL):
>   install TARGETS given no LIBRARY DESTINATION for module target
>   "fontpreview".
>

> CMake Error at plugins/newfromtemplateplugin/CMakeLists.txt:27 (INSTALL):
>   install TARGETS given no LIBRARY DESTINATION for module target
>   "newfromtemplateplugin".
>

> CMake Error at plugins/psimport/CMakeLists.txt:24 (INSTALL):
>   install TARGETS given no LIBRARY DESTINATION for module target "importps".
>

> CMake Error at plugins/psimport/CMakeLists.txt:30 (INSTALL):
>   install FILES given no DESTINATION!
>

> CMake Error at plugins/pixmapexport/CMakeLists.txt:24 (INSTALL):
>   install TARGETS given no LIBRARY DESTINATION for module target
>   "scribusexportpixmap".
>

> CMake Error at plugins/saveastemplateplugin/CMakeLists.txt:24 (INSTALL):
>   install TARGETS given no LIBRARY DESTINATION for module target
>   "saveastemplateplugin".
>

> CMake Error at plugins/scriptplugin/samples/CMakeLists.txt:5 (INSTALL):
> [...]

You did not say which version of RedHat, but I am fairly certain you
need a newer cmake. I had to rebuild newer versions, so I could provide
Scribus packages in my repos for RHEL4/5.

RHEL 3 I doubt will run any version newer than 1.3.3.14.

You could ask your administrator to install the newer cmake from:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs/RHEL_5
or
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs/RHEL_4

Hope that helps,