[scribus] Announcement: Scribus 1.3.9 released

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Sun Dec 5 20:51:25 CET 2010

On 12/5/10 8:48 PM, Craig Bradney wrote:
> On 12/5/10 6:41 PM, Randolph Bentson wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 12:50:32PM +0000, Gerard Cunningham wrote:
>>
>>> Remember what I said about fool proof? Can you
>>> clarify for me, where do I create that directory?
>>> Is it:
>>> 1. /scribus-1.3.9
>>> 2. /home/scribus-1.3.9
>>> 3. /home/username/scribus-1.3.9
>>> 4. /home/username/Downloads/scribus-1.3.9
>>>
>>> Maybe I was over thinking it , but lacking
>>> further clarity, I went with option 1.
>> I recommend creating directories
>>   /home/username/Download
>>   /home/username/src
>>   /home/username/bin
>>
>> Fetch tarball, zip file, etc. into the first;
>> extract contents to the second, where you compile;
>> and install into the third.
> For CMake builds, use out of source builds.. so, no, you can be clean
> and not build in the src directory.
>> Make sure your PATH environment variable includes an entry for
>> the latter.  This is generally done with entries such as
>>   PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
>>   export PATH
>> in your shell start-up scripts such as .bash_profile.
>>
>> If you're interested in maintaining multiple versions of
>> some program, rename the bare executable to a name with
>> its version , e.g., "scribus" to "scribus-1.3.8", before
>> installing the latest with the bare name.
> No need to rename any binary yourself.. add -DWANT_VERSIONING=1 to the
> CMake command line and it will add the version to the binary name, so
> "scribus" automatically would be installed as "scribus-1.3.9" for example.

Oh, and I might that, that has the added benefit of doing the right
things with names libraries, installation directories etc. Anything else
will overwrite your installed files with those of the same name but
being very incompatible.

Craig