[scribus] Announcement: Scribus 1.3.9 released

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Dec 5 16:03:39 CET 2010

On Sunday 05 December 2010 08:09:55 Craig Bradney wrote:

> > So I moved to the top level directory /scribus-1.3.9 and tried
> > the same command.
> > Same error.
>
> Try putting the . at the end:
>
> cmake -DWANT_CAIRO=1 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/scribus1.3.9
.

That little dot at the end says "use the current directory as the
target directory." There has to be a space as separator before the
period or it won't work. The period is actually a (very short)
parameter, not a terminator as in text.

BTW since I cut my Linux eyeteeth back in the day when it came on
multiple 5.5" floppy images (i.e. original Slackware) I am used to
operating as the root user or administrator when it is useful to do
so. Hence when using a Debian derivative partition (Debian, Kubuntu,
Ubuntu or my favorite: Knoppix) I do this command one time:

sudo passwd root myfavoritepassword

From that day forward I can sign on as root, just like a real adult
who has 42 years of computer programming and operation under his belt.
No more typing sudo all over the place.

passwd is not a misspelling in this instance.
--
John Culleton,
 typesetting and indexing http://wexfordpress.com