[scribus] Printer Profiles?; Organizing pictures

Jerry Halberstadt subscriber at newtechpub.com
Thu Dec 2 15:57:20 CET 2010

> Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 23:10:22 +0000
> From: Jim Ford<jaford at watford53.freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [scribus] Printer Profiles?
Jim,

I just finished my first book project of 50+ pages with over 25 large
photos. I used the Epson Workforce 40--the inks are pigment-based and
archival. Scribus 1.3.3.14, Win XP sp3. Printed on archival paper, the
book is a collection of exhibition-quality photos that tell a story; I
am fussy about color (without needing to take a meter to my prints!). I
could also use my Epson Sylus R2400--essentially the same inks, can
print larger sheets, but the Workforce is more than enough quality and
easier to work with for a job like this.

For color management: all photos are in Adobe RGB. I process them using
Adobe Bridge and Photoshop, copy them to the appropriate size for the
book at 100 dpi, put them all into a single folder and import into
Scribus. Windows provides a thumbnail view of the images which makes it
easy to import into Scribus. (I wanted to keep file size down but now
realize I could have built the book with higher resolution images and
controlled output file size when exporting to PDF).

I export as a PDF and view/print using Adobe Reader X. When printing,
line up the printing specs in both Adobe Reader and your printer.
Example: in Adobe Reader, choose File:Print. Select your printer,
Properties. On main screen: choose the quality of image, i.e., photo or
best photo; the paper type. Under Advanced: Color Management, select
Color Controls; Color Mode: Adobe RGB.

The printer also gives you the option of ICM color management.

Jerry Halberstadt

> But as far as I'm aware, Adobe Reader doesn't use printer colour
> management! Photographic images embedded into a Scribus file and
> exported to pdf don't print accurately - at least not for me on my Epson
> inkjet.
>
> Jim

Marie, kindly refer to my workflow description under "printer profiles."
(Adobe Bridge is an old precursor of Lightroom but a weaker program
overall.) I suggest you consider getting Lightroom 3--it is finally
being discounted heavily so mere mortals can afford it. Not only does it
have great tools for "developing" your images (controls for color,
levels, contrast etc) but it does a good job of sorting and retrieving:
you can assign a quality grade and a color, so you can pull up all
pictures of top grade on a specific subject. You can use this along with
Photoshop to prepare your images for import to Scribus. I would say that
for the project of over 200 pictures that Lightroom would be a boon to
your staying sane.

Once you have the photos chosen and sorted, you could copy them into
folders named by book section or subject matter so you won't have to run
through 200 photos every time you import one.

Another tool for finding and sorting images is the free Picassa from
Google; I do not recommend it for processing but it is helpful to find
photos whose date or origin you may have forgotten.

I have not tried the Scribus image manager.

Jerry Halberstadt

--
All the best,

Jerry
Jerry Halberstadt
"Seeing the story, making a difference."
* Photography * Writing * Publishing *Consulting
http://HealthyResources.com * http://www.NewTechPub.com
http://LivingWithAge.com * http://www.PhotoLuminations.com