[scribus] beginner's luck, or lack thereof

Steven Dayton daytonmeister at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 20:21:56 CEST 2010

I know others who have more a wealth of knowledge on most of what you are
asking will pipe in and give more detailed answers but I am going to brave
an answer and jump right in.

In short tarball and distro have to do with Linux operating system. Which by
the way is a facinating operating system. And getting Ghostscript is fairly
easy to get and install. And Ghostscipt is good for exactly what the info
message you got says.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Peter Thorkelson <pthork at earthlink.net>wrote:

> dear list,
>
> I am a true beginner—to the business of all but completely prepackaged
> software.
>
> I downloaded scribus (1.3.6), and was informed upon trying to open it that
> I was missing some software:
>
> "The following programs are missing:
> Ghostscript : You cannot use EPS images or Print Preview"
>
> is what it said.  I went looking for "ghostscript," and was introduced to
> the terms "tarball" and "distro."  I have since gleaned (rightly or wrongly)
> that a tarball is a collection of small bits of software, but apparently I
> should know what a distro is, since I'm supposed to report that when asking
> for help.
>
> SO. what's ghostscript, where do I get it and how do I install it?
>
> what's distro?
>
> if I get and install ghostscript, will I then be able to use scribus
> unimpeded?  seems unlikely.
>
> btw, I re-downloaded scribus as a dmg file (haven't opened it yet), and
> notice that it's 1.3.5.1.  what are the relative pros and cons of using this
> over 1.3.6?
>
> I appreciate what help I can get.
>
> thanks,
> Peter T

StevenD

So you want it fast, good, and cheap. Choose any two.

A bad day at the beach is better than a good day at work.