[scribus] from a new user

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Thu Apr 15 07:11:13 CEST 2010

Hi Peter

Am Donnerstag, 15. April 2010 04:17:47 schrieb Peter Thorkelson:
> hello,
>
> I downloaded scribus 1.3.6 for my Mac OSX 10.5.8.
>
> I may already be in way over my head.  I had hopes that I would get
> something like quark express, but the first thing that happened was I
> got an advisory:
>
> "The following programs are missing:
> Ghostscript : You cannot use EPS images or Print Preview"
>
> why would I be offered a download with missing programs?

Well, obviously because they are not installed. This is similar to installing
a closed source complaining that you need Service Pack x or Hotfix y (or
Internet Explorer ;) ) to be able to run the program.

And the dialog actually tells the truth: EPS import and print preview won't
work without Ghostscript.

> AND/OR what is ghostscript?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostscript is good starting point.

On a sidenote: While I don't want to sound snarky, I wonder why in this day
and age someone who can download Scribus can't use a search engine like
Google and type in "Ghostscript." ;)

> AND/OR how do I get ghostscript?

You can download it here:
http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/ghost/GPL/gs871/ghostscript-8.71-macosx.tar.gz
or install a package manager for OS X and use darwinports. You can find a
description here: http://ghostscript.darwinports.com/

> AND/OR how important
> is it?

See above.

> every effort I make to understand seems to lead me deeper into
> incomprehensibility.
>
> of course nobody is making me feel it, but I o feel like a kid who
> hasn't been taught cursive trying to decipher a handwritten discourse
> on subatomic physics.  I'm not stupid (or so I've been led to
> believe), but this is way out of reach for me.

It's just another way of handling software installations. On Linux/UNIX
application binaries are comparatively small, but they rely on other programs
or so-called libraries being installed. While Mac OS X is a UNIX operating
system, the preferred (Apple) way of installing software is actually the
opposite of the Linux/UNIX "philosophy", since application developers are
encouraged to include almost everything in a single application bundle.
That's why a Linux/UNIX program can have the size of 20 MB, whereas the
equivalent OS X bundle (a DMG most of the time) can easily exceed 200 MB.

Both approaches have their advantages. On Linux/UNIX, you may run into
so-called dependency issues and/or conflicts, for instance when one program
requires a certain library version, and the next program requires another.
Distributions like Debian, Fedora or OpenSUSE will resolve these issues for
you, but then you depend on their package managers. OS X application bundles,
by contrast, don't have this problem (provided you are using an appropriate
version of the OS), but a lot of disk space is being wasted by duplicative
files and libraries. Windows is somewhere in-between these extremes, and the
hybrid approach results in a lot of other problems (just google for "dll
hell").

HTH

Christoph