[scribus] from a new user

Peter Thorkelson PTHORK at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Apr 15 04:17:47 CEST 2010

hello,

I downloaded scribus 1.3.6 for my Mac OSX 10.5.8.

I may already be in way over my head.  I had hopes that I would get
something like quark express, but the first thing that happened was I
got an advisory:

"The following programs are missing:
Ghostscript : You cannot use EPS images or Print Preview"

why would I be offered a download with missing programs?  AND/OR what
is ghostscript? AND/OR how do I get ghostscript?  AND/OR how important
is it?

every effort I make to understand seems to lead me deeper into
incomprehensibility.

of course nobody is making me feel it, but I o feel like a kid who
hasn't been taught cursive trying to decipher a handwritten discourse
on subatomic physics.  I'm not stupid (or so I've been led to
believe), but this is way out of reach for me.

if anybody out there can readily be of help, I'll send my latest CD
along by way of thanks.

best wishes,
peter thorkelson