[scribus] Akademy invitation

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri Apr 9 21:18:37 CEST 2010

Am Freitag, 9. April 2010 21:06:10 schrieb a.l.e:
> On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 19:15:23 +0200
>
> Christoph Schäfer <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 9. April 2010 08:46:40 schrieb a.l.e:
> > > hi

> > > the distributions i know, don't offer both a version of the
> > > software with kdelib dependences and one without it: in my
> > > opinion, integrating any software which is not a core tool in the
> > > desktop environment is a pain for everybody who happens to have a
> > > lightweight system (and doesn't want to install kde).
> > >
> > > we have more and more half baked solution for gnome, kde, xcfe, qt,
> > > kde, and so on which can't be merged because their basically not
> > > compatible (i talk about applications for mails, calendars, music
> > > playing, web browsing, drawing, managing photos, ...)
> > >
> > > there may be some good reasons why some applications get
> > > implemented in two ways, but it's not healthy when the goal of each
> > > frameworks is to exclusively "attract" more and more applications in
> > > their "world".
> > >

> > > so, dear kde folks, what i can suggest to you, is to look for a way
> > > to let QT integrate with KDE at runtime (depending on the
> > > availability of the kdelibs).
> > > or look at the problem the other way around: how can kde (and gnome
> > > and xfce, ...) offer its services to scribus without expecting the
> > > scribus devs to target your specific desktop environment?
> > > i don't know who you have invited to your kde conference, but --
> > > imho -- you should be inviting the gnome, gtk, trolltech,
> > > enlightenment, xfce folks and find with them how to enhance the kde
> > > integration of most of the applications being developed without kde.
> > >
> > > your invitation to the scribus team looks to me like a lobbying act
> > > tending to get scribus to become a kde app. this is something
> > > against which a random slackware user will react emotionally...
> > > and this is something makes me shake my head.
> >
> > I think your choice of words is inappropriate. This is an invitation
> > to an Open Source conference. Akademy has earned an excellent
> > reputation, and to excoriate such an invitation as a "lobbying act"
> > is impolite, to say the least.
>
> they are inviting developers (not the team) to see why scribus is a
> qt application but not a kde application.

Quote:"We thought that it would be nice to have a some [1] talks from
developers that work on Qt based programs but don't use the KDE framework.
[2] We're in particular interested to hear about why Qt is used and why there
is no KDE integration. (numbers in brackets added by me)

These are two different topics.

> afaik, the kde community wants scribus to become a kde application and
> it's their right to do so.

If they want to create a KDE version of Scribus, they're free to do so. May I
ask what's your source for the KDE community's desire to turn Scribus into a
KDE application?

> i don't know how life is in germany, but in the countries i know, such
> a way of doing is called lobbying. still, i wonder why you think
> that talking about lobbying is impolite: i do much lobbying for free
> software (and for scribus), too and i have never felt bad for it!
>
> > Attacking someone because he sends out an invitation is childish, so
> > please stop it.
>
> i don't attack anybody and i think i have made some quite positive --
> non childish -- propositions.
>
> and i don't think that i
> would have posted a mail under this topic if no discussion about kde
> had been started by somebody else.
> i wish all the free DE good luck and i hope that they get better and
> better because they are very important for the people who need them.
> but i'm also convinced that it's a bad idea to tie applications like
> konqueror, evince, totem, krita, amarok, ... scribus to any single DE.

Quote a.l.e: "your invitation to the scribus team looks to me like a lobbying
act tending to get scribus to become a kde app. this is something against
which a random slackware user will react emotionally...
and this is something makes me shake my head."

If you don't like a specific invitation say "no thanks" or ignore it. To me
your original reply seemed to be outright hostile and inappropriate.

Christoph