[scribus] Crop capability.

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 15:12:47 CEST 2010

2010/4/8 a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>

> hi

> > > no, i don't think that it would make much sense.
> > >
> > > - tinymce is developed in javascript which is a language for the
> > > web. i don't think their library can be used by a c++ program like
> > > scribus or integrated into qt (btw, qt has similar libraries, too)
> > >
> > > - tinymce does not support any of the advanced formatting features
> > > in scribus
> >
> > I think what we already have should suffice -- a connection to Gimp
> > or some other tool to crop (and obviously much more). As Christoph
> > said, use of something for cropping is going to be a destructive
> > process if it's going to help by reducing file size -- if it's set up
> > to not be destructive, you might just as well not bother, since there
> > already is "pretend cropping", i.e., only showing a part of an image
> > in a frame.
> >
> > If there was a quick plugin way to do this, I would anticipate some
> > gnashing of teeth when someone realized they just destroyed their
> > original image.
>
> imho, it would be nice to have a script calling gimp (or any other image
> editor) and "automatically" make a copy of the current image and crop it to
> the current frame and downscaling it to match the wanted resolution.

If we do that, can we make sure we keep a row of pixels all around the image
so we don’t end up with a white gap between the frame and the image. This
happens... and is sometimes hard to see on proofs !

In any event, it would be great to have such a script.

Just a question : can’t this be made a feature into Scribus ?

Cheers !

Louis