[scribus] Drop Caps

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Tue Apr 6 20:10:24 CEST 2010

hi greg,
hi david,

> > hi greg

> >> The problem comes from the fact that drop caps are a feature of
> >> paragraph styles but not character styles.
> >> You can apply a paragraph style with the drop cap, then a different
> >> character style for the rest, but the problem is that the baseline
> >> of the rest of the first line drops down to the bottom of the drop
> >> cap, so you get the drop cap sticking up -- might or might not be
> >> Ok for your purpose.
> >>
> >> In the end I think the separate frame for the drop cap is going to
> >> be your easiest way to deal with this.
> >
> > what about checking "drop cap" in the paragraph style and then
> > manually applying a character style to each drop cap?
>
> As I said, drop caps are a feature of paragraph styles only, and
> therefore are not available in character styles and not something you
> can set in Properties. You can, of course, make that initial letter
> larger, drop it down below the baseline, but then you have to deal
> with the text on the next line. The only situation this might work
> would be with a hanging indent.
>
> As David noted, a paragraph style, when applied, will apply to the
> whole paragraph.

that's why i suggest david to use a character style to apply specific formatting to the drop cap (which is defined in the paragraph style).

so, if i understand correctly his problem:

a/ he has to define a paragraph style with drop cap enabled, but with the normal formatting for the paragraph

b/ define a character style with the formatting for the drop cap

b/ apply the paragraph style where he wants the drop cap

c/ apply the character style to the letter of the drop cap

http://imagebin.ca/view/Conn4xgh.html

still, scribus drop caps only support one single character... so no chance to put "Q&A" in the drop cap.

but this last issue will featured in our bug tracker very soon :-)

no, it's already there:
http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=7587

ciao
a.l.e