[scribus] Selecting Polygons

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Apr 1 17:01:19 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 30 March 2010 16:05:13 Margaret and George McIntosh wrote:

> > There are various development versions available on Sourceforge
> > (link below). To be honest (hey, why not) I've lost track of what
> > all the various numbers are but anything 1.3.4 or greater is
> > currently a development version in some stage. My understanding
> > (subject to correction from those more in the know than myself) is
> > that 1.3.5 will eventually become the stable 1.4.0. I see a 1.3.6 so
> > perhaps that's the current leading edge towards that goal. My guess
> > is that's where you should go to see what will be in the
> > not-too-distant future.
> >
> > There is also a 1.5.0svn for the truly bleeding edge stuff. I guess
> > that will become a stable 1.6 someday. I don't see Windows packages
> > for that but they may be hiding somewhere.
> >
> > In any case, they are all "not yet stable" and may crash, behave
> > badly, eat your hard drive and neuter your cat. You have been
> > warned. The .sla files created with any of them are practically
> > guaranteed to be unusable with 1.3.3.x so beware with your important
> > files.
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/
>
> 1.3.6 was released about a week ago. I am using it in parallel with
> 1.3.3.14 and I find it more stable than 1.3.3.14. It has several
> improvements but it is offocially called a development version.
>
> George

I use 1.5.0 nightly download because I have to have the option of PDF X/1-
a:2001. American POD printers prefer and sometimes insist on this output.

Currently there are three incompatible families of Scribus. You can go
forward but you can't bo back. There is the 1.3.3.x family stabilized at
1.3.3.14. There is the 1.3.5 and 1.3.6 family, which uses a different file
layout. Then there is the 1.5.0 "bleeding edge" family that has yet another
layout AFAICT and that I use without (much) complaint. On my Linux
Slackware 13 system (the only way to fly) I created a cron script that
downloads and recompiles 1.5.0 each night.  I figure it can only get better
each day.

Scribus is the only product I know that runs (or ran) three parallel
development streams. It does not look as if 1.3.3.x will proceed any
further so the choice is 1.3.6  or the bleeding edge 1.5.0.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"