[scribus] Linux vs Windows for Scribus ?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Sep 9 00:28:47 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 08 September 2009 16:28:24 jwminer at accessvt.com
wrote:
> John C. wrote:
> > All these levels of software tend to grow but not necessarily
get
> > better. After many years with Slackware and KDE I have
given up
> > on KDE4. To put it another way I find that Xfce gives me more
of
> > the features and the look and feel I am used to with KDE than
the
> > latest KDE does. So I have switched from KDE to Xfce on my
> > primary Slackware partition but also on my Debian-like
partition.
> > My Debian-like partition has an OS called Xubuntu, basically
> > Ubuntu with Xfce.
> > So I have approximately the same interface on either
partition.

> > It is very easy to download Inkscape, another important tool
in my
> > publishing toolkit, onto a Debian derivative but just about
> > impossible on Slackware. It is also virtually impossible to
compile
> > it on Slackware.  So I downloaded Inkscape to Xubuntu.
> >
> > Now I am in the process of migrating Inkscape 46  from that
> > partition to my main partition. This  is easier than figuring out
> > what editions of which Gnome libraries have to be installed
for a
> > successful compile on Slack.
>
> Why did you go to Xubuntu rather than stick with a Slackware
base
> and try VectorLinux 6 Standard? XFce is the default GUI for VL
> Standard. Judging by comments on our VectorLinux user support
board
> from former users of Xubuntu, XFce on VL is faster and has
fewer
> problems. If you want Inkscape 4.6, it's a simple download from
the
> VL repos and will pull down all required dependencies. I've been
> using Inkscape since Day One on VL 6 and it's a tremendous
program
> that should be much better known among open source users
(Inkscape
> is available for Windows, too).
>
> VectorLinux could be considered a friendlier, more desktop-
oriented
> Slackware. VL uses slapt-get package management that would
be
> familiar to users of Debian and its derivatives. There is a
> graphical front end, Gslapt. Slapt-get and Gslapt pull down all
> needed dependencies for properly made packages. The
packages in the
> VL repos are properly made and some in http://slacky.eu will
also
> find dependencies, though I haven't tried this.
>
> There is also a testing version of VL 6 Light with KDE 3.5 as the
> only window manager. (The regular edition of VL 6 Light has
IceWM as
> the default window manager.) This testing version is intended
for
> people who want to stick with KDE 3.5. It can be downloaded at
>
> http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-test/VL6.0-KDE-
Classic-B1.is

> The important thing is to start out with *something*. it's not a
> decision for eternity. You can always switch to something else if
> you're not satisfied with the distro you started out with. Also,
> don't flit around from distro to distro too much. Stick with one
> long enough to get familiar with it. You can't form an opinion on
> the basis of half a day's trial.
> --Judy M.
>   USA

I I tried Vector but did not have a happy experience. First the
install cycle hung up on Opera, so I deleted Opera and restarted
but it blew up on something else. And the Scribus they had was
1.3.3.12, not exactly the latest. They didn't seem to have
Inkscape on the initial load.

I'll try another download, maybe the stripped down version, to see
if I can get it to install at all.  If that works then I can do the slapt-
get routine for Inkscape, Scribus etc.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"