[scribus] Linux vs Windows for Scribus ?

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Sep 8 21:14:13 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 08 September 2009 10:24:56 Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
> Well, partially I'm just trolling.
>
> But really, I have a basis in reality for that statement. Although
the
> basis may be dated, I dunno.
>
> Fedora, nee Red Hat Linux, has always been very "bleeding
edge", and
> because of that, tends to have problems that other distros do
not.
> Bugs, lack of polish, stability issues.
>
> Please note that the last time I used Fedora was in 2004, with
FC3.
> FC3 was a nightmare. I had used exclusively Red Hat distros up
until
> that point. RH 7-7.3, 8, 9, RHEL 3 and 4, Fedora 1,2, and 3.
Fedora
> was always just frustrating and missing stuff and in need of
serious
> tweaking before being actually usable.
>
> Then I discovered that there really were some other options out
there,
> and that using a Linux desktop didn't always have to mean
constant
> tweaking, frustration, and headaches. I switched to MEPIS at
that
> time. MEPIS is/was amazing. The problem MEPIS had/has,
though, is a
> somewhat brittle upgrade and maintenance path, otherwise I
recommend
> MEPIS on my short  list. Then I discovered Ubuntu and finally,
Linux
> Mint. I always recommend Mint at this point as my first
suggestion. It
> is like Ubuntu++, and Ubuntu is pretty good. Mint comes with
all of
> the good things about Ubuntu[1] and adds extra polish, ease of
use,
> tools, and features.
>
> I have never used SuSE, but I've test driven it a couple of times,
and
> it never quite felt right to me. In much the same way that
buying a
> car is a personal choice. I would probably not buy a Toyota, for
> example, just on the aestheics, but it is so personal a decision
at
> that level. So, too, is the choice in Linux distro these days. Mint
> just feels right to me, in addition to having great features and
> polish.
>
> My recommendations for new Linux users, not necessarily in
order:

> 1) Linux Mint
> 2) Ubuntu
> 3) MEPIS
> 4) PCLinuxOS
>
> Others will stick Fedora, SuSE in there. Still others will stick
> Debian in. And some retards will even recommend Slackware to
new
> users. (If you are a new Linux user but happen to be a 50 year
old
> Unix sysadmin, then Slack might be alright.)

Well I was well past 50 when I first encountered Linux but
otherwise I qualify I guess. I have been using Linux, principally
Slackware, since that distro came in a tray full of floppies.  Tried
Red Hat once but it had too much proprietary software.

 But it has been my observation that:
 useful work (like cover design)
is supported by
applications software (like Scribus)
 which resides on a gui
which resides on an OS.

All these levels of software tend to grow but not necessarily get
better. After many years with Slackware and KDE I have given up
on KDE4. To put it another way I find that Xfce gives me more of
the features and the look and feel I am used to with KDE than the
latest KDE does. So I have switched from KDE to Xfce on my
primary Slackware partition but also on my Debian-like partition.
My Debian-like partition has an OS called Xubuntu, basically
Ubuntu with Xfce.
So I have approximately the same interface on either partition.

It is very easy to download Inkscape, another important tool in my
publishing toolkit, onto a Debian derivative but just about
impossible on Slackware. It is also virtually impossible to compile
it on Slackware.  So I downloaded Inkscape to Xubuntu.

Now I am in the process of migrating Inkscape 46  from that
partition to my main partition. This  is easier than figuring out
what editions of which Gnome libraries have to be installed for a
successful compile on Slack.

In short I am picking and choosing and where necessary voting
with my feet. You can do that more easily in the Linux world than
in the Windows world. If I don't like the Gui I can choose another.
But my wife's laptop is stuck with Vista and its Gui because HP
will not support the drivers for XP, an older but much superior
version of MS Windows.

There are no universal solutions.  So I mix and match.

John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"
http://www.booklocker.com/books/4055.html