[scribus] What is Signal 6?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Sep 5 23:06:15 CEST 2009

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 12:15:14 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

> Scribus 1.3.5 RC3 on Ubuntu Jaunty x86_64.
>
> I am getting "Scribus crashed due to signal 6."
>
> I have a long document of 98 MB that I need to make some modifications
> to. It is kind of painful to work in this document because Scribus is
> so slow with it. The document is composed of student exercises, each of
> which varies from one or two pages to eight pages. So I created new
> documents for each of the six exercises that I need to modify, setting
> each up with the same document setup as the original (margins, grid,
> etc.). Then I opened the original document and navigated to each
> exercise, copying the text frames for each exercise into the new
> document for that exercise. As soon as each new document had the frames
> and text that I needed to modify I saved the new document and closed
> it. My plan is to do the modifications in the new small documents, then
> copy and paste the text back into the frames in the original document.
>
> I can open the original document fine. But all six of the new documents
> crash Scribus with signal 6 when I try to open them.
>
> I can delete the new documents and try again, but it would be pointless
> to create another six documents that crash Scribus when I try to open
> them. If I knew what Signal 6 means it might help.
>
> The largest of the six new documents is only 115K, so I could easily
> create a bug report and upload one or all.

I can add the following:

jjj at Devil7:~$ gdb scribus-ng
GNU gdb 6.8-debian
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu"...
(no debugging symbols found)
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/scribus-ng
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
[New Thread 0x7fd25bb03770 (LWP 13515)]
[New Thread 0x7fd24590c950 (LWP 13518)]
[New Thread 0x7fd244fc6950 (LWP 13525)]
[New Thread 0x7fd23ef00950 (LWP 13526)]
[Thread 0x7fd244fc6950 (LWP 13525) exited]
[Thread 0x7fd23ef00950 (LWP 13526) exited]
ASSERT failure in QList<T>::at: "index out of range", file /usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qlist.h, line 387
[Switching to Thread 0x7fd25bb03770 (LWP 13515)]
0x00007fd2572bcfb5 in raise () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb)
[6]+  Stopped                 gdb scribus-ng

When I run Scribus from gdb like this and try to open any of the files
I don't get a Signal 6 error message. Instead Scribus shows the progress
opening the file which goes to about 40% and then Scribus hangs.

I guess it is a bug in copying and pasting the frames into a new document.