[scribus] Curly quotes and long novels.

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Sep 5 04:41:56 CEST 2009

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 19:40:15 -0400
John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:

> I know Scribus is not optimal for very long books. But if I should take
> the plunge with a text that is full of double curly quotes (lots of
> dialog) how do I import the text and preserve all those curly quotes?
> The Scribus
> select-from-a-menu method is a non-starter-- too much hand labor.
> Should I prepare the text with (space)" and "(space)? Should I run it
> through open Office first for curly quotes and then import the ODT
> file? What is the optimum strategy?
>
> On things like this TeX is easier (sigh).  but I like the Scribus font
> selection method and letterspacing (for running page heads) better.

OOo is the best answer, but you may not even have to do that. Does the
text already have curly quotes in its present format? If so, just copy
and paste into Scribus. If not, go through OOo. But bear in mind that
OOo is not perfect. 'Cause if you start a sentence like this one it
needs to be a right single quote and OOo will automatically make it a
left single quote. Silly programs. Don't they understand how I talk?