[scribus] Colour Profiles

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 2 23:29:18 CEST 2009

On 09/02/2009 04:35 PM, davecs wrote:
> I have been searching, without success, for colour profiles for my monitor
> and printer. The monitor is an LG W2242S, and it is displaying a photo
> exactly as I want it printed. The printer is an HP Photosmart 7760. If I
> don't use colour profiles, the dark parts of the print are far too dark,
> meaning that slight shadows across someone's face, which look quite natural
> on my admittedly cheap monitor, come out too dark, and detail is obscured.
> However, if I do use the default ICC profiles, the photo comes out darker
> still, with a horrible red cast as well.
>
> I've looked on the internet, HP site, etc, and cannot find an ICC profile.
> What would be nice is a program where you can visually adjust your onscreen
> image to match what comes out the printer, so that settings can be recorded
> and next time the printer compensates.

I think you've got it a little backwards. Having your monitor calibrated
is a bit tricky, and really the monitor is a visual aid, which you hope
to match to printed output. Fiddling with the colors using an
uncalibrated monitor is generally bound to give bad results. If you
cannot find some kind of baseline profile from the monitor from the
monitor's manufacturer, you would have to buy the equipment (hardware)
to do this yourself -- there is free software to help with this. If you
check the online docs about color management you will find more details.

http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=cms

For photos, there should be an ICC profile for the image file that you
want to use, and you can set this in Preferences in Scribus.

One mistake some make with local printers (ie, one attached to your
computer) is to use the "Printer" setting for the Color tab in PDF
Export. You really should use the Screen/Web setting most of the time.
You might also check your printer settings in your OS.
Setting Printer is for when you take your work to a commercial printer.

Greg