[scribus] Scribus 1.3.5 (Christoph Schäfer) (Victor Papp)

Anke Lange gimp-werkstatt at gmx.de
Sat Oct 31 10:09:18 CET 2009

scribus-request at lists.scribus.net schrieb:
> May I ask you to write on English.
> Not everybody understand German.
>
> Thanks.

Hallo Victor I apologise for writing in a language that not anybody
understands. I will repeat my answer to Christopher in English to make
it understandable for everyone out there. And I hope everybody
understands my bad English.

Thanks Christopher for answering in German.

Hallo Christopher

I have tried Scribus 1.3.5.1 with Ubuntu, because I write teaching material for Scribus-classes. While I had a look at the new Scribus I came across some strange things.

The properties inspector for text properties has been putting into so many little sub register, that it lost it's clear arrangement. Plus the sub register are so small, that you have to scroll within them to be able to find all formations.
I thing that this solution is very complicated and difficult to use, especially for learners.

The Style sheet-Editor I find it very difficult to handle too.
When you open the editor, you first choose the kind of style you want to create. Than you click new and you have to choose again, what kind of style you want to create.

To part the possible formations on 3 register does make the the editor even more complex especially because there is no preview any more. So before you know what your Text looks like you first have to define a Style and allocate it to a text frame. Than you do your formatting and look in the text frame, if it is like you wanted.

Within the text editor I had to look very heard, where to find the Button to OK my changes. Until I found it hidden the extending button in the tool bar. (I want to apologise, this was the text editor, not the style sheet-editor)

I like Scribus a lot, it is a great program. Otherwise I wouldn't give classes to show people how to use it. but to be honest, sometimes less is more (German saying)

Because of all this, I have a Question. Does the Layout of the program change in the foreseeable future. It would be great and desirable if someone would have a closer look on the handling and intuitive of the programs layout.

It seams like, I haven't really understood, why there was a rc version of the 1.3.5 and when it will replace 1.3.3 as stabil version.

regards Anke Lange

I want to thank Christopher and everybody else for the informative answers.

The point is, that a lot of my students ask me about the 1.3.5, because
they think, that it is due to be published very soon as the replacement
of 1.3.3.
They fear, that there work will be a waist of time, because it says on
the scribus-homepage, that you can't work with files you made in 1.3.3
with 1.3.5 and higher.
Perhaps it would be better to point out more clearly, that 1.3.5 even
though it has a lot more features that are very useful and great to work
with, is still in development still changes a lot.

Anke Lange

--
Anke Lange
Beethovenstr. 3