[scribus] custom line styles usage existing and maybe a suggestion

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Oct 27 14:54:43 CET 2009

On Tuesday 27 October 2009 08:06:35 K.King wrote:
> Hi "a.l.e." & "Christoph"
>
> Thankyou for your kind and gentle responses.
>
> a.l.e. re
> <<
> well, it's a pity that publisher doesn't set the standard for
scribus :-)

> no it's not a pity. But the example I gave was the simplest way
(for me)
> to express it, sorry to irritate or offend.
>

> a.l.e. re
> <<
> the best way to do it, is to create the frame in inkscape, with
the
> correct size, export it to svg and import it in scribus.
>

> Thanks, I could do that, but it does make the task far more
convoluted
> and cumbersome compared to how it can be done in another
application
> that we dare not mention here. I am looking to try and get
multiple
> clients to let go of a certain application and anything they can
do in
> it they obviously expect  to be able to do in another and without
too
> much extra effort.

Exporting as svg is the normal way one gets images out of
Inkscape. How is this difficult? It is of course possible to save an
image as a bitmap but that would be a step backward. Gimp can
be used for bitmaps. The virtue of Inkscape is that it, like
Illustrator, deals in vector graphics.  Resizing/rotating a vector
graphic in Inkscape is perhaps the second thing you learn to do in
that product, right after drawing a rectangle.

Please do mention the other application. If it is InDesign, currently
the industry standard, then that is one thing, if it is Microsoft
Publisher then that is quite another.  Most printers won't accept
Microsoft Publisher files and indeed I don't believe Microsoft offers
it any  more.

I do not find importing images into Scribus difficult at all. You can
size the graphic to a fram or size a frame to a graphic The only
gotcha is that an eps file such as a bar code file needs to be
imported via the file menu and not through the more usual
properties menu in a graphic frame. The eps file will create its
own graphic frame.

The product you are  accustomed to will be the product you
measure others against. Right now the graphical DTP program
I am accustomed to is Scribus. Even the bleeding edge 1.5.0
product seems natural and intuitive to me.

--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"