[scribus] the Ubuntu conundrum

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 20 15:29:41 CEST 2009

On 10/20/2009 07:56 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> hi
>
>> No snobbery at all. 80% of Scribus issues that can't be resolved are
>> related to Ubuntu, and the reason is that Canonical is heavily
>> modifying the Qt libraries used by Scribus.
>
> it's a pity that at the same time 80% of the scribus users are using
> ubuntu (the ones using windows have been excluded from the statistics)...
>

> on the one side, i fully agree that it's not the job of the scribus
> team to solve the qt issues in ubuntu (or even to find workarounds for
> them).
>
> but -- at the same time -- this constant ubuntu bashing imho harms
> the  scribus own reputation (don't you wonder what all the ubuntu
> users think of those mails?) and generally the reputation of free
> software (what will somebody doing her first steps with free software
> think about such cheap "kindergarden" fights?).
>

> so: can we stop it?
>

> i think that suggesting the use of *SUSE or simply pointing to the
> fact that the problems may be related to some ubuntu changes to QT
> should be enough.
>

> getting a ubuntu hacker (or better the ubuntu qt packagers) to talk
> with the scribus and fontmatrix teams would be even better!
Yes, I think that we need input from Ubuntu users to continue, and not
just to this list. If we can identify problems that occur with Ubuntu
yet not with other distros, then users also need to get this information
to Canonical. Especially with the increasing presence of Ubuntu and the
strong interest that users have in Scribus, this is something that they
should be interested in solving.

If we are a project that is repeatedly telling those with Ubuntu to
switch, we will not be making friends where we need them.

Greg