[scribus] Text outlining

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Oct 18 20:45:26 CEST 2009

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:41:57 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 19:27:41 +0200
> Benjamin Dumke <scribus at benjamin-dumke.de> dijo:
>
> > Here's how I usually do it:
> >
> > Duplicate the text, so you have the same text frame twice, directly
> > above each other. Leave the top one as it is; apply the outline effect
> > to the bottom one (possibly with a higher percentage). That will leave
> > the original characters' shapes alone, while still giving you outlines.
>
> That's a good workaround. I'm about to do it.

OK, to document the workaround:

I selected my text frame and copied to the clipboard. Then I edited it
and applied a white outline at 33%. That made all the text disappear,
but it also made a few bits of the underlying line art graphic
disappear as well. Then I deselected the text frame and pasted a copy
of the original on top. I now have the desired effect.

> However, I think the text outlining thing should do the same thing. I
> think the outline is being applied on the inside of the character
> outline, instead of the outside.
>
> It seems to me that I once used a program that allowed setting the
> outline on the inside or outside. InDesign? CorelDRAW? Illustrator?

It would be nice if Scribus could do this but, as Gregory just pointed
out, it cannot. I would file a feature request, but there are more
pressing issues and this is pretty trivial, considering that the
workaround is easy enough.