[scribus] Barcode broken?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Oct 15 18:12:44 CEST 2009

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:43:49 -0400
John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> dijo:

> On Wednesday 14 October 2009 17:31:17 John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > Using 1.3.5 RC3 on Ubuntu.
> >
> > I am trying to enter a barcode, specifically 978-1-878572-25-7.
> > Have I misunderstood the user interface?

> Are you sure the check digit is OK?

Yes, the check digit is fine.

The list was down for a while or I would have posted the solution right
away.

It turns out that you *cannot* enter the check digit. The script
automatically generates the check digit (and adds the initial 978). If
you enter the check digit the script interprets your code as incorrect,
then goes back to the default code and creates the barcode according to
the default.

The user interface needs a bit of tweaking here. The above information
should be displayed in the window so users will know they have to leave
off the check digit and the initial 978.

Also, I see a potential for a massive and expensive error happening. I
entered my code and the script created the barcode for the default code
without warning me that it was not using my code. If I had not noticed
that the numbers under the barcode were not my numbers I might have
placed the barcode on the document, thinking it was correct. What if I
didn't discover it was incorrect until after a bookstore returned the
first shipment of books?