[scribus] Using .xml or a script with Scribus

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 12 14:49:43 CEST 2009

On 10/12/2009 04:22 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> hi
>> He's not looking for an automated translation tool, but a way to let
>> a human easily translate the text parts of the .sla files :)
>
> i think that greg gave the best answer. here again a bulletted list
> with the simpliest workflow:
>
> - create the original text as odt or txt
> - do a sample layout in scribus to see if it fits
> - fix the original if it doesn't look good (too short, too long, to
> unabalanced, ...)
> - distribute the original for translating
> - layout the original in scribus
> - as soon as the single translations come back (in odt or txt) layout
> them into scribus
Not to belabor this, but as we stated many times in the manual, you want
to use the right tool for the right job. Doing the translating in
Scribus adds visual and operational complexity that I think gets in the
way of what should be a straightforward translating task.

Trying to come up with some xml parser/editor is almost certain to
increase proofreading errors, both errors of omission and commission.

Greg