[scribus] Exploit.PDF.b.gen

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Wed Oct 7 00:03:38 CEST 2009

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 14:59:33 +0200
Thomas Kratz <tpk at spirituelles-portal.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> somebody whom I sent a pdf generated with scribus told me that she
> got a virus message, telling that the attachment would contain
> Exploit.PDF.b.gen
>
> I already scanned my computer with 2 different Virus Programms and
> with McAfee in the quick modus, which I just installed. Nothing was
> found. In the moment McAfee is running with the long modus, but this
> seems to take ages.
>
> But: whenever I export a pdf with scribus, an alert from McAfee pops
> up that he found this virus in the file I just created and deletes
> this file.
>
> Is there a known issue with Exploit.PDF.b.gen and Scribus?

According to the Great God Google, you are getting an embedded java
script in your pdf.

Can you export to postscript without a warning?

Can you switch off your virus checker and do an export to pdf?

Can you look at the pdf file in a text editor and search for 'java'?

How long ago did you install Scribus?

Can you go back to a restore point to just after installing Scribus?

As you are the only person to have this problem, the problem seems to
be yours and yours alone.

Do you have a file named 'load.exe' in your temp file? See
http://www.fortiguard.com/encyclopedia/virus/pdf_pidief.olw!exploit.html

Owen