[scribus] Vertical align of text

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 2 16:47:50 CEST 2009

On 10/02/2009 04:25 AM, CLIVE CATTERALL wrote:

>>> 6) This is unrelated, but it seems that guidelines are *very*
>>> greedy.  You have to move in the neighborhood of half an inch (!)
>>> before the item will break free from a guideline.
>>>

>> I haven't read all your posts, but wonder if you have looked at
>> Document->Setup or File->Preferences and adjusted the snapping criteria
>> in Guides.
>>

>> Owen
>>
> The trouble is that using a preferences box is not a natural way for many designers to work. It is too detached from the visual decision making that designers are comfortable with. You are forcing them to make another mapping stage in their thinking. They want to put *that* over there (direct), but this makes them estimate how many millipedes it is to move *that* over there (indirect). They can do it, but this mapping makes the use of the softeware less comfortable, less intuitive.

Like many programs, Scribus by necessity is complex, which means there
are a large number of possible settings affecting most tasks. The
developers have added a number of "duplicate" mechanisms for
accomplishing things to allow for various personal modes of working.
There are also a number of default behaviors and settings which can be
changed as far as what the default is, which on a practical level simply
takes some time to understand where there are, how to adjust them, and
why you might want to. The idea is also to keep these out of the way,
and not give you a lot of decisions to make when you start using
Scribus, when you may have no idea what the settings mean or how to
change them sensibly.

I bought a digital SLR not so long ago, and this has a very large number
of features that I have yet to investigate, but gradually am doing so.
Having all sorts of default settings keeps the job of simply using the
camera not so daunting at first. Even with the documentation, it's hard
to keep information in my head until I actually need or want some
particular feature.

Using Scribus is a lot like this.

Greg