[scribus] Vertical align of text / aligning text with horizontal lines

Timothy J Massey tmassey at obscorp.com
Fri Oct 2 02:26:44 CEST 2009

scribus-bounces at lists.scribus.net wrote on 10/01/2009 06:42:11 PM:

> On 10/01/2009 05:51 PM, Owen wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 16:35:49 -0400
> > Timothy J Massey<tmassey at obscorp.com>  wrote:
> >

> >> 1) When you draw a line for the first time, you can use the CTRL key
> >> to get it to draw "straight" lines.  However, adjusting a line after
> >> it's drawn does not obey the CTRL key anymore:  with CTRL down, you
> >> can easily (and frustratingly!) adjust lines with e.g. 1* angle
> >> instead of the 0* you really wanted.
> >>

> > I think (and maybe I am the only one) that you should do rough work
> > with the mouse, and fine work with the properties box.
> >
> > IE, put a line more or less where you want it and then fine-tune it
with
> > the properties.
> >
> The other thing to consider when you are designing a layout is to try to

> use even values.
> Don't make something with a height of 10.5239 units, make it 10.5 or
> 10.0 or 11.0 -- then you substantially reduce the work of aligning
> things, making them the same size, and so on.

A half-letter page, divided into thirds doesn't lend itself to even
numbers...  Now I see why the default measurement unit is points...  :) It
seems that Scribus is more spreadsheet or IDE than DTP:  type in numbers
rather than, say, *draw* lines.  Interesting metaphor.

OK.  Enough ranting.  It is what it is.  As the problems I documented seem
uninteresting to others, I will stop.

Tim Massey