[scribus] Best Linux distro for Scribus

Richard eyelagui at adinet.com.uy
Mon Nov 30 04:04:58 CET 2009

I think that thoughts about KDE (new version) are being shared among a
lot of users, and i'm one of them, i like KDE, and almost cant handle to
work on gnome, but this new KDE taste made me drop Linux for the last
months and i really has not being using linux almost since KDE 4
appeared as the non-optional KDE desktop.

On Linux, you can have a lot of flavors, but finally you'll have almost
the same stuff on every distro.
I guess the main differences are based about ease of use and maybe the
time on wich some packages go to repositories.
You can find a distro where you have to fight a lot to get everything
working on, and a distro where you think and it's done, more for Windows
users, more for starting users.

But i insist, when you have a bug on something, you'll end having the
same issue on every distro, since the main difference is the packaging
used and some flavor about how to make everything work, but never two
distros will be so appart that you can say there is two OSes.
There is only one OS, and some minor taste differences. about bugs and
so, is more like a couple days more, a couple days less...... so there
is not really a need to go seeking all around for something else as
there is no real "else".

I have tasted several flavors, the first one was Corel Linux 1... (yes,
sorry i did), Red Hat 7, Mandrake 8, 9, and 10 Suse 7.1 and 8, Conectiva
10, the "U" distro since 5.5 up to 8.04, and more recently since the
huge mistake about going on KDE 4 so early i started on Fedora (happened
to be a lot more stable and working).
I have tasted KDE 2, 3 and 4, also Gnome (a long time ago), XFCE on U
and Debian...

There is not really a big thing about going back and forward, i ended on
KDE for my windowish like and ended on Fedora wich made my laptop's ATI
chipset/battery/ACPI/video actually work because "U" didnt.

If there is a bug on Gnome it should be documented, if not, you should
try to make a hard work and install-reboot program by program as many
times you need until you find what's the problem. (and maybe notify a
bug, but i dont think it's a bug)

I think you're messing around on software sources, and maybe making
things conflict. I DID A LOT OF TIMES!!!!.

I used debian"ish" most of the time, and the repository system made me
(let me) make a lot of mistakes, one should'nt put any source anytime,
you have to study what you use as a source, since a new package could
have a new library(BETA), wich may interfere with another installed
program/library and even make the package manager to uninstall an old
version (WORKING) to everything go wrong.

So if you're using mixed betas and stables from different sources,
you'll surely end on a headache. I repeat, I DID A LOT OF TIMES