[scribus] Windows 7

Richard eyelagui at adinet.com.uy
Tue Nov 17 14:33:58 CET 2009

jwminer at accessvt.com escribió:
> Rolf wrote with regard to Windows 7:
>> Sort of. XP Mode, which is available for Win 7 Professional and
>> Ultimate (Enterprise, too) is a virtual machine containing a
>> licensed copy of XP that is seamlessly integrated into Windows 7. It
>> does not come with Win 7 Professional or Ultimate and is a free
>> download from Microsoft, which the user has to install.

VirtualBox has a "seamless mode" also.

>> Note: MOST applications users ran under XP will also work with
>> Windows 7 and the user doesn't need XP Mode at all.

Agree.

>> It also allows for much more RAM to be utilized than the 3.5 gigs and under that a 32-bit
>> Windows can use.

4GB Adressable, so Win32 bits can adress up to 4GB memory.
But you could end with only 2.5GB of RAM usable depending on the
installed hardware on your computer.

>> The one piece of hardware
>> without a 64-bit driver I'll really miss is my Sony Clie PDA. I can
>> install Palm Desktop but cannot sync the PDA with the desktop
>> because Palm does not and will not offer a driver. I do have a
>> kludge, though. I sync the Clie through XP on the same computer and
>> simply copy the files to Palm Desktop in Win 7.

You can syncronize your PDA on Seven. You only need to download the
appropriate version of palm desktop.
¿How far is your Sony Clie from a Zire 21? A customer is doing it with
his Zire21 and i did with my Zire71

>> Win 7 64 is performing very well on my computer, an Athlon 64 X2
>> 4200+ with 3 gigs of RAM and onboard Radeon Xpress 200 video. This
>> is definitely not state-of-the-art hardware but with Win 7 64 it
>> feels like a new computer.

Celeron Tualatin 1300MHz / 512MB (a bit slow, but usable)
Athlon Barton 3000+ / 1GB
Atom Z530 dual core / 1GB (AcerOne netbook)