[scribus] Brochure printing using imposition

Celso Junior celsojr2008 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 13:41:20 CET 2009

Hi there!

I`m the missing Student! lol

Sorry for the lack of information about Easypose, the so called
Impositioning Software wich I was working on untill 2007/2008.
I've changed a lot of things in this peace os software but the as far as I
got, it was a standalone Python core, wich read XML specs to create an
imposition from PDF files, using PDFLaTex as Engine to create the final
imposed PDF file.

There is even an old post in this list , but unfortunaly the server wich
easypose was hosted went offline... u_U

Anyway, there is the latest "release" of it and hope someone coult test it:

http://www.4shared.com/file/153141582/1cea9b65/easypose_core_omegatar.html

The desirable mean of having an impositioning tool could be using scribus
interface to achieve some dialogbox whose contains options to generate an
imposition but NOT depending on pdflatex but using own scribus engine to
manipulate the pages.

 I copied below an old post that explaiins how to test easypose.
Regards and hope I can get back to work on it now.

Celso Junior

"

Hello everyone ^_^v

I'd like to announce that EasyPose now has a Python proto-core. It is
nothing but a XML driven command line program, wich reads the settings
from a xml based file and does the imposition that way.
The syntax is very simple:

easypose xml_plan.xml filelist.txt output.pdf

Where the xml plan works like the options found in the gui, but
appearing to have more flexbility than before ^_^
By now one must determinate the page sequence the way they are imposed,
more like a simple template, but the aim is to port the "virtual
folding" method to the core it self.
The idea is to have a core that anyone can use, or even create his own
gui for it.
Here it is an example of the xml file. In this case, a Simple two up
middle folded sheet.
Obs: I'm working on a auto booklet re-ordering, no the option
"order=booklet" is not working yet u_u
The example is commented below ^_^

<imposition unit="mm" name="Imposition Test 0001" order="normal">
#here we have simple main options about the imposition plan, no secrets
    <layout
        side="front"
        width="480"
        height="330"
        left_margin="auto"
        right_margin="auto"
        top_margin="auto"
        bottom_margin="auto"
        columns="2"
        rows="1">
    #This options reffer to the layout it self, "side" attribute is
    #only used to be printed in the margin area, the others are
    #self explanatory ^_^
        <cell
            width="210"
            height="297"
            column="1"
            row="1"
            rotation="0"
            page="2">
    #Now the cell is indexed directly, the "column" and "row" attributes
    #determinate it's position on the page-layout and the "page" is the
    #page number, respecting the imposition order
        </cell>
        <cell
             width="210"
             height="297"
             column="2"
             row="1"
             rotation="0"
             page="3">
        </cell>
    </layout>
#Now the layout for the "back" of the paper
    <layout
        side="back"
        width="480"
        height="330"
        left_margin="auto"
        right_margin="auto"
        top_margin="auto"
        bottom_margin="auto"
        columns="2"
        rows="1">
        <cell
             width="210"
             height="297"
             column="1"
             row="1"
             rotation="0"
             page="4">
        </cell>
        <cell
             width="210"
             height="297"
             column="2"
             row="1"
             rotation="0"
             page="1">
        </cell>
    </layout>
#The opitions will naturally become huge... u_u
#but this is the syntax they are expected to respect
    <options
        crop="true"
        crop_distance="1"
        bleed="2"
        fold="true"
        ink_bar="true"
        mono="false"
        logo_top="true"
        logo_bottom="true"
        logo_left="true"
        logo_right="true"
        write_name="true">
#Custom controls were not implemented yet but the're on the way
        <custom_controls>
            <obj
                x="3"
                y="3"
                rotation="0"
                file="/usr/share/easypose/controls/dotgain.pdf">
            </obj>
            <obj
                x="3"
                y="202"
                rotation="0"
                file="/usr/share/easypose/controls/dotgain.pdf">
            </obj>
        </custom_controls>
    </options>
</imposition>

The file_list.txt (it doesn't need to call file_list.txt ^_^) is a
single list with
filename.pdf page_number

like

test.pdf 1
test.pdf 2
test.pdf 3
test.pdf 4
test.pdf 5
test.pdf 6
test.pdf 7
blank 1

or

test.pd 1 7
blank 1

So, there it is...it is not the final presentation of easypose's core
but it is the way it is going to grow ^_^

you can have it at:

http://easypose.die-buehne.net/core/

there are .deb, rpm and tgz packages ^_^

but remember, it does require pdflatex.

Regards!
Celso Junior
"