[scribus] Windows 7

Richard eyelagui at adinet.com.uy
Thu Nov 12 15:01:57 CET 2009

OK, here we go again.

> I'll be using it on an Dell Vostro 1700 2.4GHz twin core with 4 gig of
> RAM.
More than enough....
> And just to be completely clear, the main computers are the ones
> running 64bit windows 7 ?
Yes, both of them, the "bigger" desktop, and the laptop.

>> Again: Flawlessly
>> Everytime i find a 64bits version of any program, i give it a try,
>> usually they work fine, unless on beta or alike.
>> Every 32bits program has worked as always did.
> On 64 or 32 bit ?
Every 32 bits program has worked as always on both 32bits and 64bits
Seven. I use most of the software on every computer.

> I wouldn't want to be scared off either win 7 or 64 bit if they work,
> but I've been around long enough to remember early releases of MS
> software that did little more than install.  These memories make me
> cynical enough to check with people who've tried it.
Well... this was the first beta Windows i ever had (using stable now)
and it worked better and more stable (on drivers and hanging
aplications) than Kubuntu 8.1 and 9.04. +Fedora 11 (Went back to Kubuntu
8.04)
> Dell seem really keen to push ppl down the 32 bit route, but as they
> can't even tell me what size replacement drives they can give me for
> my laptop, I don't plan to be put off by that.
If you are not using more than 2.5GB of RAM, there is not a real _need_
to go for 64bits, but, you can go 64bits flawlesly even on 2GB. (First
months on my laptop)
Also remember that Dell had some issues on Vista's fist times, then they
kept on XP and started to offer Linux preinstalled. I think the are
still hurt on Ms OS.

> The Dell salesman told me that 64 bit iExplore wouldn't download 32
> bit apps which I struggle to believe, but I mostly use Firefox anyway.
........... ¿?......... hm....
You can download anything you want, using any browser you want. I'm
using 32bits Firefox, and i have downloaded every 64bits program using it.
64iExplore would not interact with 32bits Activex, Flash or Java, but
Seven comes with both IE versions, 64bits and 32bits.... Both usable,
and preinstalled.

> I suppose the next question will be 'can I get 8 gig of RAM in a
> Vostro 1700 ?'.
If you can get 2x4GB modules or if your vostro has 4 memory banks i
think it should be possible.
The only limitation you may find is the chipset, you should visit
Intel's website, and search for the exact chipset you're using.
.... I'm assuming that a Vostro 1700 has intel chipset.... don't know
why. If that's not the case, you can go to chipset maker's website.

The best of luck...

P.S. You can get "any" hard drive for your laptop, you dont "need" to
keep on Dell's hard drives.
The laptop market is now almost as standarized as desktop. You can get
at least RAM and Hard drives, but also replaceable PCI-E graphic cards
and cpus(this at least on AMD processors)