[scribus] bleed with cut-off

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Nov 11 14:03:23 CET 2009

On Wednesday 11 November 2009 06:11:44 Arthur wrote:
> Thanks Greg & Owen, it works now. When saving as PDF
something like 'cut to
> printer margins' (I use the Dutch version) was selected.
Unselecting it and
> following your steps gave the result I need.
>
> Arthur

Pittman
> > Verzonden: woensdag 11 november 2009 2:09
> > Aan: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> > Onderwerp: Re: [scribus] bleed with cut-off
> >
> > On 11/10/2009 06:09 PM, Arthur de Bussy wrote:
> >> I can't find how to create a 5mm bleed in a document with a
> >> background
> >> picture that is supposed to extend the cut-off lines. I can
generate
> >> bleed with printer marks but the picture stops exactly
where the
> >> cut-off marks are. It must be a bit bigger to ensure proper
cutting
> >> by
> >> the print office. Can anyone help?
> >
> > At least in Scribus, bleed doesn't work by enlarging or
shifting any
> > of
> > your layout. You must make your image frame larger than the
orginal
> > page
> > or have it extend beyond its border(s).
> >
> > Greg

For perfect book covers there is a way to use the last method
mentioned by Greg, i.e make the basic image oversize by the
amount of the bleed.  Set the Scribus "bleed" fields to zero. Set
the margins at .380 in instead of .25 in. My free template
calculator at
http://wexfordpress.net/template.html
will give you the overall dimensions that include bleed, the guides
for the spine etc. I give more detail in my e-book.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"