[scribus] PDF creation in karmic

OM malex at scribus.info
Thu Nov 5 17:37:32 CET 2009

* avox <avox at arcor.de> [2009-11-05 02:13:30 -0800]:

> D. R. Evans-3 wrote:
> >
> > Thomas Zastrow said the following at 11/04/2009 12:12 PM :
> >>
> >> Some days ago, I already tried out Scribus with the last release
> >> candidate of Ubuntu 9.10.
> >> Because there are now again problems with the final version, I
> >> downloaded Ubuntu 9.10 *final* and installed again.
> >>  From Ubuntus repositories, I installed Scribus NG which is a 1.3.5
> >> version from 26. January.
> >> I created several documents, with and without images, and exported them
> >> to PDF.
> >>
> >> I had absolute no problems.
> >>
> >> So, perhaps it is a problem with your file / image(s) / fonts? If you
> >> can send your Scribus product via email to me, I will try it out here
> >> again.
> >
> > Thank you very much. Let me mess with it during spare cycles for a day or
> > so, and if I can't figure out what's going wrong, I'll take you up on
> > that.
> >
> > I've discovered that not all files are failing, so I'm trying to find out
> > what in particular is different about the ones that cause Scribus to
> > crash.
> > (They worked fine before the karmic "upgrade".)
> >

> Does it work if you disable the "Embed PDF (EXPERIMENTAL)" option?
> If so, it's probably a problem with the PoDoDo library.

I don't think either Debian/main or Ubuntu's releases will have podofo
enabled for a while, yet. Podofo is still not in a shape to be included into
Debian and subsequently Ubuntu. So, the ONLY podofo-enabled scribus-ng
packages are in the Scribus Archive a.k.a debian.scribus.net or
debian.tagancha.org repositories where the unofficial podofo packages that our
scribus-ng packages use also reside.

Regards,

Alex