[scribus] Unknown Exception Error - help?

Patrick Ernst patrick at aroaustralia.com
Sat May 30 07:10:55 CEST 2009

Jessica Evans wrote:
> John Beardmore wrote:
>>
>> Out of interest, how much memory does your PC have, and how much swap
>> space ?
> Hi John,
> Memory: 2048 MB
> Swap space: 1524 MB

Jessica,

MS recommend swap = ram * 1.5. I would not be surprised if your PC had a
1Gb upgrade at some point?
Its useful to set the swap file to 0 in computer properties (advanced),
run chkdsk c: /f (to run on reboot). Reboot then select safe node. Run
defrag from accessories, system tools. Run it a couple of times.
Recreate your swap file to 2 * 1.5Gb. You can select let OS manage the
file then take the max figure from that. The minimum is normal 256MB or
so. If you have a second drive or partition, you can split the swap file
across these. A minimum of 1/3 of the total swap must remain on C:. You
could round that to 768MB.

I don't use desktop windows much but have found this to improve overall
performance. Eg I use Corel Draw in a Windows virtual machine under
VMware. Gives it a kick every time.

cheers

--
Patrick Ernst