[scribus] Possible to install 1.3.3.12 after installing 1.3.5svn?

wayne shakacat at ukulele.com
Wed May 27 01:17:40 CEST 2009

Owen wrote:
> On Tue, 26 May 2009 07:50:06 -1000 wayne
> <shakacat at ukulele.com> wrote:
>
>> Craig Bradney wrote:
>>
>>> You might want to adventure into compiling your
>>> own version. docs.scribus.net has pretty good
>>> instructions (follow the cmake option for
>>> 1.3.3.x if you get into that).
>>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to compile
>> 1.3.3.13. However, a few questions:
>>
>> 1. On the Requirements page, only the requirements
>> for compiling 1.3.5+ are listed. What about
>> 1.3.3+?
>

> I suggest you download the source and inside, you
> will find a number of files, three of which are
> called README, BUILDING, INSTALL
>
> Those three files are recommended reading.
>
> You will find this in the BUILDING file

>  Requirements: Qt >= 3.3 (3.3.8+ recommended) and
> not Qt4.x Scribus 1.3.3.x will not compile with Qt
> 4.x

I have Qt4 installed so does that mean 1.3.3.13 will
not install on my computer?

>> 3. The instructions proceed: "Then run:
>>
>> /usr/bin/cmake ../Scribus
>> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/home/username/scribusinstall/"
>>

>> What does the .. in front of ../Scribus mean? Is
>> something supposed to go there?
>

> I recommend that you perhaps get help through a
> local linux users group if that is possible, as
> asking such a question suggests you are unfamiliar
> with the basics of Linux.

Hmmm. Why bother listing instructions at all? If one is
familiar with Linux, one should be able to find out how
to compile anything by one's self.

> Anyway, to answer your question, ../Scribus means to
> directory into the Scribus directory.

Thanks for taking the time. I've only been using Linux,
stand alone without Windows, for 8 years; usually in
graphics mode. I am familiar with the .., just that
since the instructions were very basic, including
"Change to the source directory: cd
/home/username/scribussource/", that the rest would
also be basic such as "go back to a higher directory
and then change directory into the Scribus directory"
instead of ../Scribus. I was caught off guard. Don't
change difficulty level in midstream.

>> 4. How do I un-compile, if I choose to do so in
>> the future?
>
> This is sort of a non issue. Once you get to this
> point, you might want to ask again.

Thank you for your help. I guess I'll have to stick
with 1.3.5svn.

Wayne